Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Race report: Ultimate XC - 21 km trail run

I've completed the scary sounding QuadBuster 21 km "trail races" in Wakefield for the last two years. Although those were tons of fun and tough in their own way, the race I did on June 28th shouldn't share the same title as those other "trail races".  Even the people lined up for their bibs were intimidating - aggressive studded shoes, knee high compression socks, technical shorts, and matching team jerseys.  I train on my own, most often on non-technical trails or roads, and I felt like these other runners were much better prepared for the challenge ahead - likely training on technical trails with the support of a team and maybe even with the advice of a coach - needless to say, nerves were setting in big time.

I wasn't planning to win this race, or even be particularly competitive.  My plan was to use this as just another weekend training run but even with that limited goal, with the CRAZY ELEVATION ahead of me, I was feeling I might have bitten off more than I could chew.

The shuttle brought us 21km away from Saint-Donat to the start of the race.  The race director stood on a balcony and gave us instructions, in French and repeated in English.  He counted us down and we were off. It was a slow start hiking up and up and up and up.  I'll let you in on a secret about trail running - it's not all running.  Sometimes, and this was certainly the case here, it is actually more effective to powerhike up a steep hill than run.  I was probably in the front half of the 200 person pack at this point.  At the top we were graced with some breathtaking views (or maybe I was just huffing and puffing from the crazy hike I just did).

What goes up must come down and so we did over rocks and roots and general unevenness.  This is where the strong trail runners excelled.  I am not one of them and my downhill running technique leaves much to be desired.  I'd been practicing downhill technique and was focusing on leaning forward, bending my knees, going with the hill, when POP my left knee gave out and I crashed to the ground.  INTENSE PAIN, which just as quickly faded to a dull pain and instability.  I lay at the side of a trail as runner after runner stopped to ask me if I was okay and whether I needed anything. One guy offered to amputate - I declined politely.  I was about 4 km into the race at this point and the 1st aid station was 4 km away.  Was I going to quit when I reached the aid station and wait until the end of the race to get driven off the mountain by ATV?

I slowly got up and started limping onward.  Luckily my limp turned into a jog and the jog was soon a slow run.  Climbs and flats were good but descents were tough.  I had been advised to leave my cell with Nathalie due to the difficulty of the trail, including a possible river crossing, so I had no idea the time, my distance or the pace.

I just kept on moving forward.

And I was having fun.  I tensor bandaged my knee at the aid station.  I also learned about the best running food ever - cooked potatoes dipped in salt - such a perfect combination.  I refilled my camelback and started running down a wide dirt path at the same pace as another runner so we started talking.  Sophie was doing the 38km run and trained in Gatineau with XCZone.  We chatted all the way to the next aid station. At this station a volunteer soaked my buff in water, which felt awesome on this very warm day.

And then we had another brutal climb again.  My quads were already killing me and this hike seemed never ending, but like all things it eventually did and we had another beautiful view from the top.  I was a bit disappointed with this next aid station - only water.  I really could have use some more salty potatoes or at least Gatorade at that point.

The run down this hill wasn't as steep and so wasn't as bad.  I ran into Sophie again, which was nice.  She went ahead of me because my downhill was pretty slow with my bum knee.

I remembered reading that the last 2.5 km were pretty flat and that this was your opportunity to give 'er.  I started to really push at 3.5km and didn't stop pushing until the finish line, even running through knee deep mud.  I passed Sophie in the last km.


The crowd and my family cheered me on as I completed the final stretch down to the beach and I ran through the finish line like I'd won the race.  Exhausted but satisfied.  I went back to the finish line an cheered Sophie on as she finished her 38km race.

I found out later this was my worst performance ever (3hr40, and 144 of 195 runners) for a 21km but, despite the knee injury, I had a great time.  Time...maybe I shouldn't pay as much attention to it....


No comments:

Post a Comment