Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pinhey Forest Trail Run

We arrived at the church forty-five minutes early, but already runners were milling about.  I have a thing about ensuring I arrive with ample time...and it seemed I wasn't the only one.  Check in was simple - I gave my name and was handed my number six bib.

I found out about this event, a 5 km non-technical forest trail race, earlier in the week and I knew my participation was inevitable.  This is my home turf - I grew up a ten minute run from here; I attended the primary school beside this church; and I run these same trails during lunchtime at work.

It was a small event organized by Run Ottawa.  Twenty-one runners stood behind a line drawn by a foot in the sand and with a countdown from five we were off.  I started strong, with the lead pack for the first two point five seconds.  After that the track-star trio trotted away into the forest, while I fell into fourth place with another runner.  We ran and chatted for about half the race.  I love the Ottawa running scene - such great people that are truly running for communion rather than in competition.

With 2 km remaining, the trail became single track and I let him go ahead.  Very soon he built a good lead and maintained it until the finish.  I came in 5th overall and 4th for my age group.  At 20:34, this was my fastest 5 km ever.  Not too shabby!

All told, it was a great event!  Their next run is a 10 miler at the Experimental Farm and I can't wait!!




No comments:

Post a Comment